Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Commitment-Phobic

What's worse than one commitment-phobe in a relationship? Try two. Now try asking them to plan a wedding. ha!

The engagement is now a little over a year old, and people are starting to ask questions; particularly the kid. In fact, just the other night, someone asked us when the big day was and she snorted, replying, "Um, by the time they get married, I'll be old enough to be a witness."

We were slightly mortified and truthfully, a little taken a back. We didn't realize that she had such strong feelings about it. And we've used every excuse in the book not to start planning this: we're in a better tax position this way......we're happy with the way things are.......it's worked for Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn, why not us? But after that comment, we decided it was time to sit down and make a decision, for better or worse (pun fully intended).

So, I went out today and bought "Real Simple Weddings: Your personalized plan for a stress-free, beautiful celebration." I nearly vomited at the counter, thinking about what this meant; it meant I was trying to plan a wedding. So you might be asking, "did you actually set a date?" Well, sort of, we set more of a season......fall of 2009. And yes, it's a ways off, but I suppose that means lots more entertaining crap to happen between now and then to keep all my readers happy and coming back for more.

Plus, what's the rush? We've been together for so long now, I'm not sure anyone will even attend the ceremony. And do people that have been together for so long actually do a registry? I feel like that's so "1st marriage" material - and we all know that I've been there and done that already......

No comments: