Sunday, February 04, 2007

Toxic Air

As I was driving home on the T-Pike the other day, I passed a teal Ford Windstar, circa mid '90's with a license plate that read PRDNJOY.......now, as obnoxious as I am, I find several problems with this, not the first of which is the driver, windows up and a Camel hanging out of her mouth with a van full of kids. Now, if the children are the "PRDNJOY" why coop them up with the carcinogens? If the VAN is the "PRDNJOY", well, that's just a problem anyway - who is both prideful and joyful at the thought of driving a teal Ford Windstar? Minivan drivers beware, I am definitely not a lover of the cargo-carriers....primarily because my insecure side says to me that when you buy a minivan, you've gone down a road that you can never return from......

The very next day, I stopped at a friends house and she was on her way to pick-up her kid from school, so I decided to do a ride-along. As I amble my ass into the leather SUV, complete with seat warmers, I felt my anti-SUV feelings start to dissipate......maybe they aren't so bad. That lasted all of about 30 seconds because when we arrived at school and came to a screeching halt right in front of a "no idling" sign, my friend popped out and left me sitting, in the idling SUV. In the two minutes that it took her to come back out, I received scathing looks from at least 5 other parents.....how dare we idle in front of the school - in an SUV?!!?

So see, it's not just the mini-van I'm afraid of.......it's the SUV as well. My little '96 Camry may not be the cutest girl on the block and she might need a new windshield wiper and some hubcaps, but she gets the job done AND I don't get the scary stares.

No comments: