Sunday, October 21, 2007

Catholics vs. Non-Catholics

Wow. It's been a few days, huh? Where have I been.......well, I've been "raaawwwther busy" as Eloise would say. And, Oh yes, I had a major computer malfunction/meltdown/I was almost crying at the computer place sort of thing happen too. That pretty much sums up the last week and a half. I was still reeling from the fact that much of my stuff was unrecoverable (and no, I am not a religious backer-upper), when this weekend arrived and I got a lesson "in Christ."

Yesterday, the kid went to a football game with Leafblower and MulletMom and their two kids.....we'll call them.....Thing 1 and Thing 2. And when she came home she says, "Mum! Did you know that Thing 1, Thing 2, and I are all brothers and sisters?"

I gave her a puzzled look and did sort of a head shake, "um, yeah, whatever" sort of thing. I was cleaning and couldn't be bothered.

"We're all brother and sisters in Christ."

Dust be damned! What?!?.

My immediate reaction was to cock my head to the side and say, "Oh, honey, that's sweet. The next time they bring it up, tell them that we're atheists." Even if it's not true, the shock value alone would have been worth the little white lie.

Or the response, "Well, that's nice of them to say. But you can let them know that we're "non-theists" and that your grandparents were Pagan's. Tell them you know black magic - they'll think that's great."

Now, I didn't say any of these things; I only thought them. And I'm still not sure if I'm mad that they persistently talk about religion when she's over there or not. What truly irks me is that they don't consider that we might be Jewish, or Buddhist, or anything other than Catholic.

We're not religious people, but we're not non-religious people either. We don't got to church, but we believe that someone bigger than us is controlling things. We don't force religion on the kid, but we believe that as life goes on, she'll figure out what she wants to believe it; that exposing her to many different religions is not a bad thing.

At the end of the day, shouldn't our good Catholic neighbors be considering the fact that not everyone is Catholic and teaching their kids tolerance? Instead, they're telling their kids that lefties got to hell.......

I'd better tell the boy to suit up, he's apparently spending eternity in the flaming inferno.

No comments: