Monday, May 21, 2007

Up North

Well, after a short trip up North, where the drink of choice is either B&J wine coolers or coffee brandy and Guns & Ammo outsells Glamour everytime, I'm packing up the kid and we're headed West, to an equally disturbing place; a little town called Zeeland, MI, where the high school mascot is a chicken (seriously) and there are 12+ churches for a population of 8000 people. Did I mention it's also a dry town? This should be interesting as it's a town I grew up in, and according to MySpace, most of my high school classmates are still hanging out there with their John Deer Tractors, and the gun racks in the back of their pick-up trucks. When I moved there at the age of 7, there was a sign as you drove in that said, and I'm so not kidding, "Welcome to Zeeland: where the chicks lay better." Humph. Even I knew that wasn't a good idea......needless to say, it's history is rich with chicken farming and the yummy place I used to work, Herman Miller. Oh, the days of ultra chic home furnishings for absolute pennies......I miss that job sometimes.

Wish me luck, this is the big wedding event.......a week to go and my mother is already fighting with the brides' mother; she's even told the bride's mother to tread lightly because her daughter is coming to town and, apparently, I'm supposed to be kicking someone's ass. She wonders why I live so far away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't familiar with Herman Miller, but I felt my posture improve after merely looking at those ergonomic chairs. Now go kick some ass!

WestCoastRay said...

Interesting, I work for a company that does some of the packaging components for Herman Miller.

GB said...

When I moved there at the age of 7, there was a sign as you drove in that said, and I'm so not kidding, "Welcome to Zeeland: where the chicks lay better." Humph. Even I knew that wasn't a good idea

That's hilarious!!!