Thursday, September 06, 2007

The First Day of School.

I realize that I am not always the best parent, and often times, I see myself in Melissa's posts - or in the same mindset as the poor stay-at-home dad over at Looky Daddy. But, I was not prepared for what happened today.....Miss Meg posted this sappy little diddy about how fast the kids grow and how we should savor each and every one of these precious little moments....then Jen talked about how she had to distract herself this morning so she didn't wallow too much!

So, before I could even get around to dancing in my underwear this morning, thanking any spiritual being that would listen, that yes, thank you very much, school had started, the kid was out of my hair, and I could enjoy the peace and quiet of my home that I had longed for anxiously over the last 8 weeks, I felt terrible. After reading Meg's post, my potential happy-me party was ruined and I spent the rest of the day feeling like shit about my parenting mindset.

Should I sit and long for my child to be home again, saying the words, "mumma can we....." every three seconds like a little mental terrorist? Or should I run around in my polka dotted boy-shorts with a drink in my hand before noon and celebrate the silence?

I'm baffled.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Sorry my advice is so tardy, but DRINK! DRINK and CELEBRATE THE SILENCE! For gods sake, DRINK!