Friday, September 28, 2007

Weekend of Nothing

After a hella busy week, I have actually written in my day planner "Do Nothing Except Nap, Knit, and Read Today" on both Saturday and Sunday. Really. I scheduled it.

Anyway, it's Friday a.m. and I'm cozied up in a little carrel at the Portland Public Library.....as an added bonus, it's their annual book sale and I scored a set of Student Encyclopedias for the kid for $10!! Can't beat that. Now our little know-it-all can have a set of reference books to back up her claims of knowing more than we do.

Oh, and just a teeny bit of snarkiness before I go.....this morning when I was walking the dog, I saw a family herding their children in to their minivan to head out for their day. But here's the thing, they didn't have just one minivan, they had two. What is it with people - can't you just drive a car? When do you ever get to a point in your life when a minivan is a good idea? This is the same question I ask my little brother :: "At 27, how do you justify a minivan? Really? And with tinted windows and a NASCAR license plate!?! Come on now......" Thank God he quit smoking or it might have turned in to something like this.

And while we're on the subject of cars, I must confess, I almost got in an accident with our new little girl today; and if I tell the someday spouse, he'll never let me drive it again. So, it goes a little something like this......mind wandered because I was thinking about all the things I needed to get done today + the fact that Wild Oats is going out of business + the fact that Trader Joe's has said they are not coming to Portland, which I am really upset about because it means that I have to keep driving down to Boston to get the goods I long for. Anyway, distracted (obviously) and as I regain focus, I see the backend of a Volvo getting really close, really fast. Now, what is so ironic about this is that 5 years ago, at that very same intersection, in this very same month, I got in to an accident - by rear-ending a Volvo in my Passat. How strange is that? Needless to say, I know that the VW doesn't stand a chance against those tanks. So, please, keep it under wraps. Although our new grocery-getter drives me a little crazy with all its beeps and buttons, I love her dearly and don't want to be banished back to the Camry.

Have a great weekend!!

No comments: